CMI Delivers New Program with Partners Women in Music Canada
In spring of 2019, CMI began a new partnership with Women in Music Canada with the goal to create a program that aided the professional development of women running their own businesses in the music sphere. The result was the Women in Music Entrepreneur Accelerator, a six-week program run on consecutive Wednesday evenings through May and June in downtown Toronto.
The businesses being run by the ten entrepreneurs in the program included: booking agencies, festival presenters, creative consultation, music education, artist management and self-managed artists.
“The Women in Music Entrepreneur Accelerator was an opportunity to connect, network and learn from both the participants and professional guests,” says program participant Nicole Rochefort, Owner & Founder, AIM Booking Agency. “It’s great to have a new support group of successful and hardworking women to call upon for future learning and morale building. A go-to resource for networking and building up.”
Based on the needs of the participants, the program focused on six key areas:
- Psychology & Breaking Down Barriers
- Business Leadership & Growth
- Legal & Financial
- Branding & Marketing
- Pitching & Partnerships
- Goal Setting
Each week the program hosted music industry guests to share their stories and insights with the group, including:
- Hina Khan, Psychotherapist & Life Coach
- Patricia Terrence, Partner, Sprackman Terrence LLP
- Sarah Falzon, Associate Lawyer, TOML Entertainment and Media Lawyers
- Allison Outhit, VP International Business Development, Six Shooter Records
- Beth Cavanagh, Founder, What’s the Story PR
- Devi Ekanand, VP Marketing, Coalition Music
- Mariel Gonzalez, Label Services, Coalition Music
- Keely Kemp, President, CultureCap
- Melissa Bubb-Clarke, VP Music & Live Events, MLSE & Live Nation
- Alyssa Katzikowski & Riah Sethna, Partnerships, MLSE & Live Nation
We were thrilled by the experience of working and learning from such a group of exceptional women and are excited to work on future programs with Women in Music Canada!